If you ask a driver, what seems the most nagging thing during driving, you will get an answer which is known as sagging headliner. Yes, it is one of the most usual problems inside the car. For getting rid of the problem, you should follow a better solution to it, and that is, using an adhesive. Moreover, a sagging headliner makes your car look like the old one. Also, it’ll seem a nightmare during the driving if the headliner sags much. That’s why you have to find the right adhesive, perhaps the best headliner adhesive.
Here you’ll get the instruction on how you can rejoin the headliner with adhesive. Besides, I’ll let you know about the top ten adhesive you should use for your car and how you can select the best one for your vehicle. Later you’ll find some the most common question about headliner problem and their solution. So, stay tuned with me.
What to Do with Sagging Headliner in a Car?
Do you have explicit knowledge about what a headliner is? In short, the headliner is the inside part of a vehicle made by fabric material covers the interior ceiling area. This headliner hides the inner construction of the ceiling area. If your headliner falls apart from the edge, you should attach it quickly. For rejoining the sagging headliner, you have to follow the following steps-
No matter what adhesive you are using to rejoin the sagging headliner, you must spray the adhesive on the top part where you are going to attach the headliner. Then you have to spray the adhesive on the sagging part of the headliner. Do not push the sagging material just after the spray. Take time to make the adhesive tacky.
Take suitable protection
Before spraying, take a piece of paper or anything else to protect the sun protector. By mistake, your spray can go under the sagging headliner, make the sun protector sticky. That’s why to use a piece of paper on sun protector and then spray comfortably on the sagging headliner.
Attaching the Headliner
After five minutes of spraying, push the headliner up. You have to use your hands and fingers. Push and rub the material uniformly. Be careful; do not allow any wrinkles. Sometimes there’ll be a little stretched. As a result, wrinkles may form. So pull the stretched part apart and again stick it on the top gently.
10 Best Headliner Adhesive
Here, I’ll let you know about ten best car headliner adhesives. You’ll get a clear idea of each of the headliner adhesive. More advantages and disadvantages for each of the adhesives.
The Loctite Spray Adhesive is suitable for bonding fabrics, foam, carpet, plastic, rubber, and other materials. Loctite offers high strength adhesive bonds and high-temperature endurance. Are looking for the best spray adhesive for the headliner? Then this should be the one of them which you think first. This adhesive is an aerosol spray made with SIS Copolymer. Thus, the chemical helps to hold its strength at high temperatures.
The Loctite spray adhesive is water-resistant, which means water cannot help to dismantling the fabric from the bond. Also, it is extreme temperature resistant tolerate up to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. This adhesive can work perfectly even if it is contacted with oil, antifreeze, and alcohol like automotive fluids.
The dimension of the product is 9.2 x 2.8 x 2,8 inches, and the net weight is 13.60 oz. This solvent-based aerosol allows a temperature range of about 0 to 170(F). Apply it on the sagging material and the top part where to join for 5 to 15 seconds. Then dry the adhesive in the air for 5 min. after that you can attach the sagging material.
- It works great at high temperatures.
- The bonding strength is excellent and does not affect by dirt and dust.
- Water-resistance power is excellent.
- In scorching temperatures, the adhesive doesn’t drip down as liquid.
- It lasts long enough.
- This spray adhesive has a strong odor that hits the nose at 1st time.
- It is not suitable for an oxygen, productive system.
- It’ll be best if you do not let it come in contact with gasoline.
If you are seeking an adhesive that has many uses, you should look for Tear Mender Instant Fabric and Leather adhesive. You can use this adhesive for rejoining a headliner. It is considered the most durable adhesive that repairs the damaged fabric. Also, it reduces the loss of resin as a little Tear Mender can cover a long distance.
Moreover, Tear Mender is waterproof, flexible, fast-drying, environment-friendly, non-toxic, free of acid, and UV resistant. Before using this for the first time, you have to know the applying method. Firstly, shake the Tear Mender well. Then apply thin layer Tear Mender onto the patch. If the material which you are going to repair is thick, then apply Tear Mender on both surfaces. Press two material surfaces and allow them to dry for 3 minutes.
As the Tear Mender Instant Fabric & Leather Adhesive is waterproof, UV resistant, and flexible, it won’t lose its bond due to water and excessive heat in dry conditions. Also, it is suitable for porous fabric, leather goods, sporting equipment, furniture, Upholstery, crafts, and industrial garments. So, you can use it for many purposes.
The dimension of the product is 1.5 x 3 x 6.8 inches, and the shipping weight is 0.6 ounces.
- It is water-resistant, UV resistant, and flexible.
- Works excellent on cold and high temperatures.
- It is made with all-natural liquid latex. That’s why you don’t need to get tensed if it touches your skin. By rubbing, you can easily remove it from your skin.
- It takes only 3 minutes to make a strong bond. After 15 minutes, it’ll be washable.
- It lasts long enough.
- Not recommended to use on silk, sheer fabrics, and nylon.
- Natural latex may cause an allergic reaction on your skin if you use it on a bare hand.
If you are seeking the best spray adhesive for the headliner, you should use the 3M Spray Trim Adhesive as it among one of the best adhesives for the headliner. 3M 08074 Spray Trim Adhesive is suitable for setting any application where mechanical fasteners will be added later. This spray is made for especially for automotive applications as it rejoins lightweight trim fabric like headliners strongly.
This spray adhesive is like an aerosol in form and has a sweet fruity odor. Moreover, it extremely combustible. You can understand the combustibility level of this adhesive as its flammability classified as class A. This aerosol has a limit of the temperature of -42 degrees Fahrenheit.
Besides, 3M provides an impervious, secure bond on metal surfaces and low wet in the absorptive material. Moreover, it offers multiple properties. You don’t have to overspray onto the surface of the material as it provides low mist production. Even it prevents the vast bonding time and can make a bond with styrene. This adhesive is also considered as the best 3M adhesive for headliner among the 3M brand.
The dimension of the product is 1.4 x 0.8 x 0.3 inches and has a weight of 1 pound.
- It is suitable to use and compatible with different types of materials.
- Fruity scents help to provide a toxic-free odor.
- Suitable to form a bond with styrene as well as create a bond with an impermeable metal surface.
- Low mist production provides a uniform spraying pattern.
- It is obstructive to outer material like dirt and dust.
- It is suitable to use where mechanical fasteners are used.
- If it comes to contact with skin may cause a nuisance.
- After drying up, it looks yellow.
Scotch Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive Spray has many-sided uses. This fast-drying spray adhesive is suitable for lightweight materials. Scotch Super 77 has a rubber cement effect. That’s why it makes a strong bond with the fabric. Even if your sagging headliner is like seems thick fabric, you must use this spray adhesive as it swiftly glues the surfaces. This headliner adhesive is also suitable for suitable carving templates. Also ideal for cardboard, plastic, metal, wood, leather, and lots of other stuff.
I’ve already told that that Scotch Super 77 has versatile uses. It extremely fast on tacking materials together. It also allows deep soak. You may buy the Spray adhesive for attaching your vehicle’s headliner; however, you can use it on home, office, and classroom wherever you want. These are the reason it is discussed as one of the best headliner adhesive sprays.
First of all, spray the adhesive on the sagging material and the place you want to attach it. Then wait for 3-4 minutes and then with gentle push attach the material with the top surface. It has a dimension of 2.7 x 2.7 x 8.2 inches. Weight is 6.4 ounces.
- It allows fast drying on any surfaces.
- Scotch Super 77 offers a toxic-free odor.
- Scotch Super 77 has a low soaking ability.
- Compatible for carving templates, cardboard, plastic and metal.
- Significantly fast on tacking stuff.
- Not suitable for heavyweight fabric.
- The cement effect may damage the skin.
It doesn’t mean that you have to buy expensive adhesive for better service. Price doesn’t determine the quality of the adhesive. With Permatex 51850 Black Super Weatherstrip, you can fix the sagging headliner quickly and effectively. That’s why it is figured as one of the best adhesive headliners.
The main difference between Permatex Black with others is, it is offering carbon black color adhesive. Another adhesive is mostly is white colors. As the interior materials of a vehicle become near-black color, this adhesive is suitable and quite a match for the headliner. Another good thing about this adhesive is it allows the reposition of materials even after they are glued up.
You won’t need to get tensed about extreme heat and cold temperatures. This adhesive is capable of resisting extreme heat as well as withstand from soaking. Even it defends solvents like gasoline and kerosene. Before applying the adhesive on the surfaces, you have to clean the surfaces properly; otherwise, the adhesive won’t be glued up properly. That’s why you have to use abrasives for removing dirt, dust, and powdery molds.
The dimension of the adhesive can is 1.6 x 2 x 8 inches, and the weight is 2.9 ounces. You have to check the manufacturer. Also, this item is not qualified for international shipping.
- It is reasonably priced than other adhesives.
- People who wats to apply weather stripping in their vehicle useful for them.
- It can make a bond with polymers effectively.
- You can use it on metal and textured fabric.
- It isn’t suitable for polypropylene.
- For first time users, the result can be raunchy.
- It can create a problem if you use it on thin surfaces.
- It is suitable for the painted surface.
If you are in confusion about what is the best headliner adhesive? Design Engineering 010490 High-Temperature Spray Adhesive. This adhesive is compatible with all types of interior material. This spray adhesive offers a feature that isn’t offering by any of the spray adhesive companies. It allows the user to control the spray pattern as they want. The Three-way valve is the key to this feature. Thus, you can quickly get rid of messy spray and save adhesive.
Design Engineering offers a good bonding effect. It is valid up to 160 degrees Fahrenheit temperature. That’s why no soaking impact doesn’t happen. Even, this spray adhesive is water and moisture resistant. This high-temperature spray adhesive can be used on foams, fabrics, carving materials, etc. you can use this on the DEI Heat Screen also. You have to apply the adhesive on both oh the surfaces and before applying, clean the surfaces properly. Make sure that there are no wax, dirt, and dust.
The dimension of the product is 36 x 36 x 96 inches. The Can weight is 8.5 ounces. For warranty information, it will be better to contact the seller directly.
- It can cope with high temperatures up to 160F. Specially made for high-temperature applications.
- The three-way valve offers the right pattern of spray according to your choice.
- Works excellently on the car’s Upholstery.
- It can dry quickly and does not affect on headliner form.
- Completely moisture and water-resistant.
- The nozzle can be blocked easily and the surface won’t be clear even after the adhesive dries.
- It causes staining. You should be careful about that.
The 3M 08090 Sper Yellow is specialized for the heavyweight headliner. It is among the best headliner adhesives. You can use it to gluing heavyweight headliners and vinyl made headliners. This is why it is considered as the best adhesive for vinyl headliner. Besides, it can be used in Hood silencer Pad to create bonds because this type of vehicle parts needs to glued with heat resistant material.
Now come to the physical appearance of the adhesive. It looks dark green and has a flashpoint of 390-degree Fahrenheit. The resin has a density of 1.04-1.05g/ml and 1000-2300 centipoise viscosity. It is suitable for -20F to 200F temperature.
The curing time it offers is 15 minutes and dry less than in 5 minutes. As it is an aerosol spray, you can apply in by spraying. After using it turns into a neoprene rubber that helps it attaching with fabric or vinyl. After drying, it looks yellow, as the name suggested.
Moreover, if you need emergency services, 3M 08090 Super Trim Yellow Adhesive will be the best. It can attach open and confine foams. Also suitable for various types of vehicle materials. Before using it, you should know how to use it. This adhesive causes several irritation problem and allergy.
The dimension of the product is 10.1 x 2.8 x 2.8 inches, and the can weight is 1.2 pounds. For warranty information, it will be better to contact the seller directly.
- It can resist high temperatures and compatible with cold temperatures.
- Water and moisture resistant. There will be no problem if the applying surface is wet.
- Excellent resistance to plasticizer.
- Not only designed for the headliner, but also materials of the vehicle like insulation, vinyl, foam, rubber, etc.
- You can also use it to replace the whole headliner.
- It is a little bit expensive than others.
- Not suitable for styrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene.
- It causes stain on headliner fabric as it turns into yellow after drying.
From the name, you can understand the working ability of the Gorilla Heavy-duty Spray Adhesive. Also, it has multifunctional use. There is no bond color, which is crystal clear. As it is spray adhesive, it remains in liquid form and offers chemical smell slightly. The flash pint temperature is 85-degree Celsius, specific gravity is 1.099, and the viscosity is 6000-10000 Cp. Keep in mind that, Gorilla Heavy-duty Spray is combustible and acts wildly with strong Oxidizers.
The lucrative features it offers are a wide pad nozzle, which helps to control the flow of mist according to the application on the surfaces. Moreover, it fulfills the new VOC standards and offers a wide range of use. Even it creates a bond with wood, metal, fabric, foam, glass, leather, foam, etc. It takes 10 minutes to make a bond with the materials. Thus, it means that even if you misplace the materials after spraying the adhesive, you will be able to adjust the materials within the time before the glue creates a bond. For this reason, this adhesive stays among the best headliner adhesive spray.
The dimension of the product is 2.5 x 2.5 x 8 inches. The weight is 14.2 ounces. For warranty information, it will be better to contact the seller directly
- It lasts long. Probably long enough before you pick it up at your own will.
- You can reset the materials between 10 minutes after spraying the adhesive.
- Nozzle offers various spray options.
- It can make a bond with almost every type of material.
- It fulfills VOC standards.
- It is flammable. Acts dangerously with strong oxidizers.
- It has a strong chemical odor.
- You cannot use it on vinyl and rubber.
Permatex 27828 is considered one of the best adhesives for headliner fabric. It offers enough strength for attaching the loosened inner parts of the vehicle. The bonding power of this heavy-duty headliner is startling due to its affordability. As it is a spray adhesive works like aerosol, it stays in liquid form. The liquid is colorless and has a solvent scent. -20 degrees Celsius is the flashpoint temperature of the Permatex 27828 Body Shop Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive.
Now the question has come, what are the suitable materials for this spray adhesive for the headliner. Permatex 27828 is recommended for foam, rubber, fabric, plastic, and several types of automotive materials like carpet, headliner, back trunk linings, and inside door panels.
As water-resistant and you’ve already known that this headliner adhesive is high temperature resistant and offers high strength in any weather. Even the adhesive is water-resistant and does not deteriorate under the sun’s heat. The weather-proof formulation makes the adhesive desirable. Also, abrasion-resistant ability is excellent.
The dimension of the product is 3 x 3 x 9.1 inches, and the weight is 1.35 pounds. There is no specific warranty for the spray adhesive. But you’ll find particular warranty information on the manufacturer’s website and can get the warranty from where you’ve brought the item.
- Specialized for repairing the vehicle’s headliner.
- The adhesive is made for attaching the interior parts of the vehicle, and it offers a neat appearance.
- Extreme heat couldn’t do anything to the adhesive and shows excellent water resistance.
- It can easily tack heavyweight material and offers fast drying.
- As the adhesive is colorless, no staining occurs.
- It provides a low amount of adhesive that you won’t be able to finish the whole headliner with one can.
- It requires at least 30 minutes to form a bond. After 24 hours at 21 degrees Celsius, it will achieve a full cure.
Among the best headliner adhesives, 3M headliner adhesive offers one of the best bonding of heavyweight fabrics and materials. It can hold headliner, foam, and carpet perfectly. 3m Headliner offers excellent fruity scent. As it is spray type, adhesive odor plays a vital role in it. The flashpoint of it is -40-degree Fahrenheit, and the density is 0.781g/ml. For drying, it requires 30 to 60 minutes depending on condition. Moreover, it has extreme combustible vapor.
Don’t think just like other 3M models, it is not good at making a bond with non-porous material. It can make a bond with non-porous material like plastic and metal effectively. Also, it has resistance to water, moisture, cold humidity, and other effect created from the condition. Even it creates the formulated adhesive that ensures no effect or stain on fabric after drying.
You should be careful about your skin. Don’t give a chance to contact your skin with this adhesive. That may cause mild irritation. The dimension of the product is 3 x 3 x 10 inches, and the weight is 1.2 pounds. There is no specific warranty for the spray adhesive. But you’ll find particular warranty information rein manufacturers website and can get warranty information directly from the seller.
- Suitable for different types of porous and non-porous material.
- It allows users a uniform spray method.
- Resistant power is excellent and has many types of resistant ability.
- This aerosol spray adhesive provides a controlled and perfect layer on the surface.
- It has extreme flammability.
- Much time requires to dry than other adhesives.
What to Look before Buying a Headliner Adhesive?
So far, I am talking about the best headliner adhesives. But among those, you have to choose your preferred one according to your needs. But before buying, you have to ensure some features available in the headliner adhesive. Here, I’ll let you know about the features you should ensure before buying.
It is vital to ensure the adhesive you are going to buy has simple enough operation. Some adhesives need a smooth surface and dust-free surface. For providing a smooth surface, you have to graze the fabric and top material. Also, some adhesives demand water cleaning the surface then drying it up. After that, you will be eligible to apply the adhesive. Why we’ll go through such a complicated process if there remains a better option, so, make sure the adhesive for headliner has a simple operation.
All you can be done is put in the application the adhesive on the top material and headliner surface and then attach them properly. If drying time is quick enough, there won’t be any chance of deviation of the surfaces. For a long time drying adhesives, you have to for dry poperly otherwise, the attach won’t be perfect due to vibration.
It is a vital factor that may change your decision before choosing between two adhesives. The consistent adhesive won’t allow you to overspray or over gluing. Also, compatible adhesives offer water-resistant, soaking free attaching due to extreme heat.
The price must be in the affordable range. You shouldn’t buy an adhesive which costs more than other adhesive and offers almost the same feature other’s have. Also, you shouldn’t buy anything having unrealistic features like lifetime bonding ability. Everything has durability. Nothing lasts forever. This type of silly features can increase the price.
Your selected adhesive must be resistant to high and low temperatures. Inner of your vehicle can either be hot or cold, which depends on the weather condition. That’s why you have to ensure the adhesive is temperature resistant. Stay away to use rubber-based adhesive as they melt in the heat.
Applying Method (Glue or Spray)
In glue type adhesive, you may use a finger to put the adhesive on the surface. On the other hand, spray type adhesive doesn’t need anything physical to put on. Just spray the adhesive on the surfaces you want. But spray adhesive is better for its applying method in my eyes.
Selecting the headliner adhesive depends on the type of surface vitally. Some adhesive works are good on non-porous fabric. That’s why you need to know the suitable surface for the adhesive first. Ensure that the adhesive works on your surface before buying.
Make sure that after attaching the material, the remaining surplus should be easy to clean. For ensuring a good appearance into your vehicle you have to clean the surplus and this
Ensuring Many Sided Use
Yes, you’ve brought it for repairing your headliner. But that not means you’ll need the whole adhesive. What about remaining adhesive? You can use it joining fabric, joining any broken thing or anything else. So, make sure the adhesive has not only for the vehicle’s headliner.
Knowing the Headliner from Its Price
Before buying the best automotive headliner adhesive, you have to which price offers what type of headliner adhesive.
Five Dollar to Ten Dollar
You’ll find most of the spray adhesive in this price range. Here can weight varies from 12 to 18 ounces. They won’t give you the most durable adhesive to bond.
Twelve Dollar to Forty Dollar
You’ll find several excellent brand’s adhesives here. Such as 3M, Loctite, Gorilla, etc. most of them offer spray adhesive, but you’ll also find glue type adhesive. Sometimes at this price, you can get multiple cans.
Over Forty Dollar
Here you’ll find the most effective and most durable adhesives. This product also has a decorative purpose. For solving the sagging headliner problem for a lifetime, you can use over forty-dollar adhesives.
- Do not forget to use gloves for putting the glue on the surface area.
- At the time of spraying, keep away your eyes as far as possible.
- Do not put over glue or spray on the surfaces.
- Make sure the adhesive dries properly before attaching.
- How to fix my sagging headliner without removing it?
–You can fix your sagging headliner in several ways. First of all, you can use old fashioned glue. Use it under the sagging part and attach it with the top. Also, if you need a quick solution, you can use a pin to fix it down. It is also very cheap. Finally, the better solution is to use the adhesive specialized for headliner joining. Moreover, you can rearrange the headliner entirely if you go to the repair shop.
- why a car headliner sags?
–As we know, the headliner is made with some layers of foam, fabric, and pressboard. With the passing of time, the moisture, heat can play a vital role in displacing the headliner. Also, some other things cause the headliner sags.
3. How much I’ve to pay to fix my sagging headliner?
–You have to pay much in the repair shop. The price range for repairing sagging headliners in the repair shop remains between $200 to $300. If you fix the sagging headliner yourself, it will cost less than $100. That’s considerable save for everyone. Also, if the sagging area is little, then you are suggested to do the fix yourself.
- How can I clean car headliner?
–First of all, manage clean and dry cloth. Then spray a little amount of upholstery cleaner onto it. Wipe the headline where you want with the wet edge of the fabric. Apply gentle force on the cloth, rub it on the headliner surface for removing stains. Do not overpressure the material and saturate deep into the foam. Now you’ve to remove wetness from the surface as fast as possible. Use the dry part of the cloth. Wait until the upholstery cleaner to dry.
- Is it possible to paint over headliner adhesive?
– Painting isn’t the priority of the adhesives. The primary purpose of a headline liner adhesive is to create a strong bond between fabric and the top surface. If you do not want to ruin the interior decoration of your vehicle, you should buy the adhesive, which offers the black color after drying. Black matches all of the interior looks.
Finding the best headliner adhesive isn’t a hard task. You can do it Yourself by going e-commerce site and read the user’s comment. But my priority is on the safest work. That’s why I selected those items for you. Also, these adhesives are the top choices from users. I hope, here you’ve found the exact information you wanted to, and hopefully, that will bring the solution for your sagging headliner problem.