In this article, we are going to learn how to make a vacuum pump with an air compressor. If you have an air compressor and you want to convert it into a vacuum pump instead of buying one, then you’re in the right place. It’s easily possible to convert an air compressor into a vacuum pump because an air compressor and a vacuum pump have a similar mechanism. They suck air inside from outside. As their mechanisms are the same, we can use the function and convert an air compressor into a vacuum pump with some simple modifications.
How to Make a Vacuum Pump with an Air Compressor
How to Convert an Air Compressor into a Vacuum Pump
Well, converting an air compressor into a vacuum pump isn’t rocket science so you have to follow the steps given below properly to get the job done successfully. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get into the work-
Get the Required Tools:
The very first step to make a vacuum pump from an air compressor is to get the required tools that you’ll need during the job. Before starting, make sure that you gather all these tools. Otherwise, you may not fulfill the job successfully. Here is the list of required tools
- Hose Clamp
- Steel-filled epoxy
- ¼ inches hose barb
- Few feet braided PVC hose pipe (diameter: ¼ inches)
- Hand gloves
- Eye protector
You’ll find these tools in any home improvement store or online shop. They are low in cost.
Understand Your Air Compressor and Open It:
When you want to modify something, you need to understand the machine first. So, you have to know and understand the air compressor and its parts fully before getting started. And the best way to do that is to read the user’s manual of the machine. It’s important because you need to open the compressor. An air compressor requires a lot of force to open and if you have an idea about the parts, you can do it easily. Yet, here is a simple note to do that easily-
- Pinch the end of the cap of your air compressor to remove it. Most of the air compressors use this type of method. If your compressor uses a different method, then remove it according to the user’s manual. After removing the cap, you’ll see the motor pump of the machine. You have to find the cylinder. Normally, the cylinder is located beneath the motor pump. So, in order to find the cylinder, you’ll need to pull the motor pump.
Attach the Vacuum Hose:
Once you find the cylinder, it’s time to attach the vacuum hose. You need the ¼ inches vacuum hose. Take the steel-filled epoxy and use it to seal the intake holes of the cylinder. And attach the barb. After finishing, leave that here for a day in order to attach properly. After a day, check carefully if the vacuum hose is attached successfully or not. If it is connected properly, you’re ready for the next step. And if not, try attaching again.
Attach the PVC hose with the Barb:
Now, you need to attach the ¼ inches PVC hose with the vacuum hose. Use clamp for safety. Using a hose clamp keeps that tightly and helps to avoid unwanted situations. The hose clamp is for safety purposes. But if you can ensure the fitting is done properly, then you can avoid hose clamp. But we highly recommend it as you’re not a professional worker.
Make a Hole on the Case:
After attaching the PVC hose to the vacuum hose, it’s time to make a hole for easy and safe passage. Make the hole in the case according to vacuum hose diameter. Use the nippers in the hole so that the air can bypass the vacuum hole through the hole. After this, you’re almost done!
Reassemble the Air Compressor:
During this job, you should maintain some safety tips to avoid unwanted accidents. This is a mechanical job, so please follow these safety tips-
- Wear hand gloves before getting started;
- Don’t forget to use an eye protector;
- Make sure that you have turned off the electrical connection before starting;
- Use a clean place to get the job done easily;
- Make sure that you get the right type of hose with right diameter;
- Use a hose clamp to ensure the connection is tight enough;
- Use steel-filled epoxy to seal properly;
- Make sure that you reassemble the machine properly;
So, we’re here, at the end. I hope, you have learned how to convert an air compressor into a vacuum pump. It’s quite easy. You can do it yourself. You just need to follow the steps properly. We’ve mentioned the steps one by one so that you can do it accordingly and get the job done successfully. Just make sure that you follow the steps properly, and we’re sure that you’ll do the job successfully. Best of luck!