What is the first thing that appears in your mind when you think about a refreshing drink? For me, It’s a glass of chilled citrus juice. I am a juice lover, and I believe fresh juice makes the best drink. I prefer citrus juice, especially in the summertime. To make fresh juice, We can use different citrus fruits like lemons, limes, oranges.
Many people think that making citrus juice is difficult. But my experience is different. It just takes a few minutes. How to juice lime? There are various ways, and Different techniques require different tools. I usually squeeze citrus fresh juice at home easily with my inexpensive tools, and you can easily store them in your kitchen.
How To Juice Lime: Tips for Maximizing Citrus Juice Yields
Who doesn’t love to maximize the juice yield from lemons and limes? There are several ways to squeeze the most juice out of your limes, lemons, and other citrus fruits. Here are a few tips that will help to give your citrus juice a better yield.
Bring Citrus To Room Temperature:
Before making the juice let your citrus reach at least room temperature; this will significantly increase the juice yield. For the refrigerated fruit, please keep it for 30 minutes until it reaches room temperature. If you want to make the process faster, pop the fruit in the microwave for a max of 15-20 seconds.
Roll It Against The Counter:
Before cutting the lime, roll the citrus fruit with your hand palm and press firmly. Pressing firmly down on the countertop breaks the juice campuses and makes it easier to squeeze the juice. It is kind of pre juicing.
Slicing The Citrus Lengthwise To Expose Fruit Flesh:
In almost every instance, it is required to cut the citrus fruit or lime in half. There are two ways you can cut it. Cut it lengthwise or cut it crosswise. I prefer to cut it lengthwise cause it will give you the perfect grip. This process only helps if you are using your hands alone.
Use A Fork:
If you think there is still some juice left in the lime, you can use a fork to extract the lime juice from your citrus. Twist the citrus piece around your fork; this will release out all the juice from the pulp.
How Much Juice Is in Citrus Fruit?
Each variety of fruit holds a different amount of juice. Although factors like size, the growing environment impacts how much juice the citrus is containing. But, the chart below will show you the approximate quantity of juice you can expect from each fruit.
On average, you can expect to get:
1 lime = 1 tablespoon or 1/2 to 1 ounce
1 grapefruit = 3/4 cup or 5 to 6 ounces
1 lemon = 3 tablespoons or 1 3/4 ounce
1 orange = 1/4 cup or 2 to 3 ounces
How To Store Your Citrus Juice?
It is always recommended to use citrus juice just after extracting it, but if when it is needed, you can store it in the Fridge. Take a glass container and use it for storing the juice. Plastic jar use is never a good idea for long term storage. You can store any citrus juice for a few weeks but always try to use it within a few days.
Wash Your Hands And Avoid Sunburn
Citrus juices contain acid, which can irritate your skin. If you have a rough screen or cut in your hands, try to wash your hand while making the juice and after juicing or even wearing gloves. If the citrus juice remains on your skin and you go to the sun, it can create severe sunburn; This is also called margarita dermatitis. Mostly it happens when making a margarita with lime juice in the summertime. So, do not forget to wash your hand after mixing citrus drinks under the sunlight.
1. Need a Splash of Fresh Citrus Juice? Squeeze citrus by hand
Squeezing is one of the most accessible techniques to make fresh juice without any tools except a knife. Anyone can easily follow this method. This technique mostly works for lemon-type fruits. To squeeze citrus by hand, you have to follow those simple steps given below.
To squeeze citrus by hand, you have to follow these steps:
- Firstly, slice your lemon or lime into pieces with a sharp knife.
- Hold the slice over the glass carefully with your thumb and fingers.
- Now Long-press each slice to squeeze the citrus.
A little Splash in Cocktails For some cocktail
Drink like Gin & Tonic; you can use the lime wedge as a garnish. It is the most useful way cause the drinker can squeeze as much juice he wants. There are some other drinks, too, where the citrus splash is used while mixing the drink.
- Easy process
- You only need a knife
- There are no extra costs
- The citrus fruit acid may harm your skin or eye.
- This process does not give the maximum juice.
2. The Bartender’s Favorite:
A Hand squeezer to juice Citrus or A citrus squeezer is a commonly used tool. It’s a manual machine that uses force to squeeze the citrus. It is convenient, and most people can easily use it. It is the best tool for juicing lemon and lime.
Juicing citrus with a hand squeezer to juice citrus with a citrus squeezer is an entirely manual process. In this process, you use your muscle power to squeeze the fresh juice from the limes and lemons. You may se bartenders use this squeezer. It is a good option for mixing single drinks.
This type of citrus juicer’s price varies from $25 to $40, and mostly two sizes are available. The small one, which is specially made for limes, and the larger one is perfect both for limes and lemons. We recommend picking one which comes with stainless steel cause it will serve you for a long time. Most of the time, I found the handle of plastic ones easily breaks, and the hand press can not put much pressure on the citrus.
If you have a hand squeezer, please follow this way to make citrus juice.
- Firstly, cut the fruit into two pieces.
- Now, place one half into the squeezer.
- With a quick press, the juice will start coming out. Please note that a good press is a must to extract the most liquid out of the fruit.
- Seeds stay in the press, and juice is typically pulp-free.
- You can make your juice within a short time with an inexpensive tool.
- You cannot use these tools to squeeze more massive citrus-like oranges.
3. The Old-Fashioned Citrus Reamer for Juicing Citrus
Citrus Reamer is another good option for juicing citrus fruits. You can use it for juicing oranges or lemons. Reamer is an inexpensive tool that is made of solid beechwood and doesn’t react with citrus fruits. It is not used in bars cause juicing with it is messy, and it requires straining seeds and pulps.
To make juice with a reamer, Here are some instructions you need to follow:
- At first, cut the fruit into two slices.
- Hold half of the fruit with one hand and hold the reamer with another hand.
- Press the reamer into the pulp and rotate to squeeze the juice. Then collect the extracted liquid into a jar or glass
- Finally, strain the juice with a fine strainer to remove all seeds and pulp.
- The tool is low cost and easy to clean.
- It Takes little space to store.
- Need two hands together to give a hard press
- A bit messy compared to other citrus juicers. Need strainer.
4. Juice Citrus by Manual Glass Juicer
If you need a bulk Citrus Juicer, then you should use a manual glass juicer. It is an essential kitchen gadget. It has two parts. One is a measuring glass, and the other is a tabletop reamer. There are different sizes for different citrus fruits.
Choose Your Citrus Juicer Style
You can find a Manual Glass Juicer in a few forms. The most Common comes with a classic design and can juice the lemon, limes, orange, and other citrus fruits. It will take little space in your kitchen.
While buying, pick the one with a large juice tray that can hold enough juice. Manual Glass juicers are easy to clean. One thing to keep in mind, the juice extracted from this juicer may contain pulp, so you may need to use a strainer.
For juicing, your citrus fruits follow the instructions:
- Cut the citrus fruit in half.
- Place one half onto the reamer.
- Press gently and rotate the fruit on the reamer and collect the juice into the measuring glass.
- Different sizes for different citrus fruits.
- Easy to take apart and clean.
- Easy to measure the amount of juice.
- Need a strainer to get fresh juice.
- It can create skin irritation.
5. Juicing by Citrus Press Juicer:
If you are a citrus juice lover and your kitchen has enough space then this one could be a great investment. it is a bit larger in size than the previous options and thus, it costs a little more around 100$. By just a hand press, you may get a lot of juice, as I am saying hand press so manual force is needed. so pick one which is well built.By using this tool, you can juice any type of citrus fruit within a short time. You may use it for professional work or a bar.
To squeeze citrus fruit quickly follow the process:
- Cut the fruit into two parts.
- Place one half on the reamer.
- Pull the handle down and press for juicing.
- It is beneficial for large quantities.
- Useful for all kinds of citrus fruit.
- Size is large and heavy to carry.
6. Your Electric Juicer Option:
You may like an electric juicer if you think that juicing by a manual juicer is a challenging process. I believe that is the best option for you and easier too. One can easily make citrus juice by using it, even if you have a physical challenge. Every electric juicer has an electric motor for rotating or vibrating the reamer. You can also use this option for professional work.
There are many electric juicers available in the market. Some of them are dedicated to citrus or come with various attachments for juicing citrus. The working process is straightforward. Just press the citrus on the reamer. Electric motors automatically rotate and make your juice. There was a beautiful strainer to make the juice pulp-free.
I personally used an electric juicer for juicing a variety of fruits and vegetables as well as citrus, but to be frank, the experience was not that awesome, the juicer was perfect for all the other tasks but with the citrus attachment I was not getting the same yield like other methods I mentioned earlier. I will prefer a manual juicer to maximize the juice quantity.
- Easy process.
- Get large quantities of juice within a short time.
- Makes noise.
- Need more space in the kitchen.
- Some electric juicers have a higher price tag.
In this article, I tried to describe some easy and low-cost methods to squeeze fresh citrus juice. I believe that it will give you enough ideas on how to make citrus juice. Now, it’s your turn, try any of those ways I explained above. I am pretty sure you will enjoy it. Happy juicing!