What do you know about the best OBD2 scanner? I guess not much. Apart from that, we all have seen the blinking of the check engine light during driving, haven’t we? Don’t know what to do, or what to check, but what we know something is wrong with our vehicle.
That’s why most of the drivers initially don’t want to check the reasons behind the blinking. Don’t you think it’s a worse decision? Do not wait for going to a car shop. You never know what complexity you are facing.
So, what should you do then? If there is a blinking of the check engine light, there should have a malfunction. Just troubleshoot the failure instead of guessing. As a sequence, we are here to give you a conception of the OBD2 scanner. Let’s move forward.
What Is An OBD2 Scanner?
The abbreviation of OBD2 is On-Board Diagnostics’ second version. It is the self-diagnostic method on a vehicle. The OBD2 scanner is a computerized device. This device can read the OBD2 codes and clear the codes.
The manual system seems complicated and time-consuming. As the OBD2 system is exactly like the computer troubleshooting system, it is possible to use an automated tech that will detect the malfunction and tell detail about that. From there, we have got the idea of a scanner. OBD2 scanner does the exact we have said here.
Who Should Buy An OBD2 Scanner?
To ease up the troubleshooting process, a scanner of OBD2 has been doing a great job. It offers a less daunting process than retrieving code. On the contrary, using a scanner or code reader allows to ease of the troubleshooting process and saves much time, and shows details.
Besides, OBD2 has some advantages, knowing them you would understand who should purchase it and why.
- Most of the cars have been standardized to OBD-II since 1996. If you have a car manufactured in the late 90s or after, you should buy the Best OBD2 scanner.
- It is fully automated and comfy to use with more features come functionalities.
- Most of the OBD2 scanners can perform remotely via wifi/Bluetooth.
Consequently, to the above features, if anyone is looking for a quick scan and quick result as well as a convenient device that is advanced technology-enabled, they must buy the OBD2 scanner.
Best OBD2 Scanner & Car Code Readers Reviews In 2023
- Autel OBD2 Scanner Autolink AL319 Code Reader Read
- ANCEL AD410 Enhanced OBD II Vehicle Code Reader Automotive OBD2 Scanner
- LAUNCH Creader 3001 OBD2 Scanner
- ANCEL AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scanner
- FIXD Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner for Car
- LAUNCH OBD2 Scanner CRP123 Elite
- FOXWELL NT301 OBD2 Scanner Live Data Professional Mechanic Diagnostic Code Reader Tool
- MOTOPOWER MP69033 Car OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Engine Fault Code Reader Scanner
- BAFX Products Wireless WiFi (OBDII) OBD2 Code Reader
- Oxgord OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Car Diagnostic Tool
Now, it’s time to move forward. Here, we would present the niceties of the top 10 best OBD2 scanners according to our test and customer review. You would get features, specifications, advantages, limitations, and bonus feedback.
Autel OBD2 Scanner Autolink AL319 Code Reader Read
Do you think it is unnecessary to have an autel OBD2 scanner that has many fancy features? Many people believe that it is superfluous to pay extra bucks for a fancy OBD2 scanner because they simply don’t need to be watched the additional features. Autel AutoLink AL319 is especially for those who are on a tight budget. Never underestimate the scanner for its price.
- Its like bread and butter means just plug and watch the code. Navigation is not tough and shows clear information.
- The AL319 can read DTC and supports displaying live data, freeze frame, and I/M Readiness to find out the exact reason for blinking the dashboard light.
- You can navigate with seven languages with the major English, Spanish, and French. Also, it supports various OBD-ll protocol vehicles like Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Ford etc.
- Some lucrative features it is offering such as One-Click I/M readiness key, Built-in Speaker, LED Indicator, TFT color display etc.
- The device is for the standardized 1996 US-based, 2000- EU based and newer Asian vesicles.
- Help figure out what the code means no need to search online.
- It supports all the OBD2 ententes: KWP2000, ISO9141, J1850 PWM, J1 850 VPW, and CAN.
ANCEL AD410 Enhanced OBD II Vehicle Code Reader Automotive OBD2 Scanner
The ANCEL AD410 is a powerful OBD2 scanner and has a wide range of functions. Either you are a professional mechanic or a driver, fact of matter is you’ll love this unit. However, it is an upgraded version of a basic car code reader.
- The unit works on most 1996 US-based model or newer. It supports CAN, KWP2000, J1850 PWM, J1850 VPW, ISO9141 OBD2 protocols.
- Compatible with English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Finnish, Russia etc. languages.
- The AD410 effaces gathered emission-related codes, pending codes. The most significant thing is, it can read quickly and shows code definitions.
- It can reset the monitoring before starting the Smog test.
- Supports oxygen sensor and EVAP method test. Also, it can initiate a leak test on a car’s EVAP system sensing and monitoring the fuel tank system. On the other hand, the O2 sensor has structured to monitor and adjust the air-fuel mixture.
- AD410 code reader has a TFT true color LCD. It has an easy read UI design. Users do not find it daunting to Setup, OBD2 Diagnostics, DTC Look-up, and I/M readiness.
- Reviewing and printing are available. ANCEL offers lifetime free software updates.
LAUNCH Creader 3001 OBD2 Scanner
Launch Is a stupendous developer and manufacturer in the sector of automotive diagnostic scanners. They are devoted to manufacturing the best quality diagnostic tools at an affordable price and latest technology. No doubt, the Creader 60001 OBD2 scanner is providing cutting-edge technical support to ensure its moto.
- It can shut down the check engine light by cleaning the DTCs on a vehicle.
- One-press I/M readiness function shows the vehicle’s status.
- The Creader 6001 OBD-II scanner works on most 1996 US-based, 2001 Eu-based, and Asian vehicles. The device works on huge number of brands and models worldwide along with ISO9141-2, ISO14230-4, ISO15765-4, and SAEJ1850.
- It offers an on-board monitor test, oxygen sensor test. EVAP system (mode 8), freeze frame, vehicle information (VIN, CIN, CVN) as special functions.
- The TFT colorful LCD screen with four hot-keys (DTC, ER, I/M, Help) allows users to get quick access in the functions. The graphical color of the display will help to provide a bright and eye-catching view in daylight.
- Framework update via the internet is completely free. Also allows user to recover the data and reply that. Moreover, the data is printable.
- Data cable and OBD-II connector cable are included.
ANCEL AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scanner
The ANCEL AD310 is an upgraded version of primary OBD2 diagnostic code readers. It can do all the major detecting, but it has some unique features too. I can bet, after going through the features, you would think to memorize it first if you see any sign of check engine light blinking.
- This Black OBD2 code reader has a sleek classic design with fast scanning power.
- ANCEL AD310 has no complexity in using even an amateur could use this to read the error code.
- Compatible with MOST 1996 US-based, EU-based and Asian vehicles.
- Supports new OBD2 and the next generation Control Area Network (CAN) and backing up with English, French, German, Spanish, Finnish, Russian, Dutch, and Portuguese.
- Apprehends the reason behind blinking check engine light, I/M monitor readiness test, watch freeze data, and shut down the MIL.
- They are providing the best and more prominent LCD with white background color and navy-blue front color. The unite offers adjustment of background contrast.
- Get power supply by OBD2 DLC from the vehicle.
- The AD310 has 4 buttons. Up and down buttons for roaming the options. Enter and Exit buttons allow steering back and enter options.
Opinion: The Best thing about AD310 is, it allows users to watch the “Live Data” which includes speed, rpm, temperature, volts, the status of the fuel system, open loop, close loop, etc. Probably, it stands along with the best professional obd2 scanner.
FIXD Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner for Car
If you need an OBD2 scan tool, which does in-depth analysis, then you may try the FIXD OBD2 Professional unit. This too has a vibe of modern technology. Everything you can see through the app. Let’s see what features it is offering.
- The FIXD OBD-II code reader is compatible with all most all gas-powered vehicles made after 1996 and all brands of vehicle.
- You can navigate in the function through an app in Android, iPhone and iPad devices.
- It reads the severity of check engine light and clears the blinking of that pesky light.
- FIXD will present your vehicle info in bread English, and you don’t have to check the code on the internet. Moreover, it will give you the courage to fix some easy fixes by instructing you how to do that.
- The FIXD has more than 10,000 manufacturer-specific and enhanced trouble codes such as ABS, TPMS, Airbag, Transmission etc.
- It offers some luxurious functions of an OBD-II scan unit like freeze frame data, proactive vehicle maintenance reminders, and diagnostic data.
- The FIXD sensor connects with the app via mobile. The app will sync the data continuously unless there you disconnect them.
- FIXD Allows users to see as many vehicles as they want from one account, and in the smartphone, you will see your family vehicle anytime anywhere.
- It will remind you of the vehicle’s scheduled maintenance through the app.
LAUNCH OBD2 Scanner CRP123 Elite
FOXWELL NT301 OBD2 Scanner Live Data Professional Mechanic OBDII Diagnostic Code Reader Tool
MOTOPOWER MP69033 Car OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Engine Fault Code Reader Scanner
BAFX Products Wireless WiFi (OBDII) OBD2 Code Reader
Do you want to use a reliable and one of the best obd2 scanner Bluetooth device? The Bafx product is an aristocratic brand among the OBD-II diagnostic vehicle scanners. It offers and performs far better than the money worth OBD2 scanners.
- This version of Bafx products is worthy of Windows and Android devices. Lamentably not compatible with iOS devices.
- This version of Bafx Products is expedient for all vehicles obtained in the US model from 1996 till now.
- It provides all OBD2 protocols connectivity inclusive of J1850 and CAN.
- Provides strong Bluetooth connectivity means it works from a reliable distance.
- Detect, read, and clear the continuous blinking of check engine light and detect various sensors in quick time to better locate your problems. It will help you to find the root of a problem quickly.
- Besides, organized graphical data will help to understand quickly the information being recorded.
- For running the analysis data, you have to install a 3rd party application. The company recommends “Torque Pro”.
- It detects engine issues, sensor problems, overheating reasons. Furthermore, it can check Oil Temp, Coolant Temp, Air Fuel Ratio, Oxygen sensor, CEL fault codes, DPF Temp, etc.
Oxgord OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Car Diagnostic Tool
Do you have a vehicle manufactured after 1996? OxGord OBD2 MS309 then the pick for you. This engine diagnostic device can identify all most of the trouble codes and is susceptible to turning off of the check engine light. Apparently, it is the best cheap obd 2 scanners.
- The OxGord OBD-II MS309 can read and clear the generic codes. Furthermore, it retrieves a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- Also, it works with newer vehicles supporting mode 9.
- It connects through a 16-pin connector. After connecting the device, it will turn on and provoke you to start the ignition.
- The OxGord MS309 is compatible with most US cars from 1996 till now. It also supports all the OBD2 protocols required from US vehicles.
- The LCD screen displays around 3000 generic malfunction code definitions and clears the trouble code.
- There is no battery needed. It gets power directly from the vehicle.
How We Test OBD2 scanners
You’ve already understood everything about an OBD2 scanner except how you will associate it with your car. The basic function of the OBD2 unit is to detect pending codes and provide information to you. Now you will be presented with how to do it, make are following these steps.
Turn The Power Off Your Vehicle
This is the first condition before checking with an OBD2 scanner. Ignition may corrupt the OBD2 software.
Find Out The OBD2 16 Pin Connection Port
Locate the port under the center console, or you can find it the beneath the left-hand dash of the steering wheel column. Furthermore, if you have trouble locating your OBD2 data link connector, check the vehicle’s user manual.
Gently Connect The OBD2 Scanner
Do not connect the scanner carelessly and roughly. The pins are delicate. They may bend if you plug the scanner roughly.
Turn On The Power
Now twist your ignition key, not for starting the vehicle. Just ensure the vehicle gets the power to turn on the dash light. Many scanning tools require the user to press a button for initializing the process. Some scanners need nothing all you have to do just connect with 16-pin connectors.
Some OBD2 scanners can ask for the Vehicle Information Number (VIN), vehicle’s model, and engine type. Try the user manual to find those. Then initiate the code reading or scanning. You will find the option there.
Give Time to Finish the Diagnostic
This may take a couple of minutes or more. Some OBD2 scanning unit checks many data, including on-board diagnostic.
Realizing The Code
In a regular basic OBD2 scanner, the result becomes a code starting with a letter. Many professional OBD-II scan units show the definition of the code, or you have to search the code definition in the DTC Lookup function. Otherwise, you have to find the code’s definition in the user manual or have to seek it on the internet.
Different Types of OBD2 Scanners
Do you know the difference between an OBD-II scan tool an OBD2 code reader? It is essential to understand the key difference between them. This may help you to choose the right one.
OBD2 Scan Tool
The scan tool provides a wide range of functions, including manufacturer-specific code. Besides, the OBD2 scan tool offers live data, recording data, freeze frames, and much-advanced information about the vehicle. It is a bit expensive.
OBD-II Code Reader
This unit can only read the code and stop the check engine light. It doesn’t provide info about manufacturer-specific code and advanced data.
Based on the connection type, there have three classes that you should know.
Mechanics and professionals are using hand-held scanners the most. Often, they get connected with the OBD2 system by a 16-pin cable. You can scan many functions by it as it is for professionals.
This scanner uses Bluetooth to get connected with iPhone, iPad, Android, and windows. You have to plug in the device in the vehicle’s OBD2 connection port. Then pair the device with apps or software. You can get information about your vehicle.
This Scanner is software-based and offers an external device, a cable, and software CD. Firstly, you have to plug in the device. Then troubleshoot the info from the ECU. You must have to use the software on a PC or laptop to operate the unit.
What To Look Before Buying Best OBD2 Scanner
If you want to look with clear-sightedness into how your vehicle is performing, don’t this there’s anyway but using a better OBD2 scanner. But how could you select the best scanner? What you have to look? Nothing is better than a combined one. Let’s review the critical criteria for you to the best.
Dimensions of Use
There have many OBD2 diagnostic tools for mechanics and professional use. They are providing a wide range of functionality and show results precisely. Some vehicles require a specific OBD2 scanner. In that case, it is better to have a professional scanner.
Most of cases, for personal use, there’s no need for using a professional scanner. So, it is better to decide earlier the dimensions of use.
Fixing or Monitoring
Most of the OBD2 scanners do either fixing the check engine or monitor the detail of the vehicle, including fixing the check engine light. With a basic code scanner, you will know the problem, after fixing it, you will clear the code.
On the contrary, the OBD2 scanners which are compatible with Bluetooth and connect with the app, they do far for than fixing operation. In a word, they are like health check-up of your entire vehicle. That’s why it is essential to know whether you want just a fixation or far more than that.
Compatibility depends on how broadly you are using the scanner. Before 1996, the standardized system was OBD-I. Then, you had to buy a different scanner for different brands of cars. From 1996 OBD2 was selected as a standardized system for vehicles. Just check the scanner how many vehicles or how many brands it can cover before purchasing. As a result, you can use it on your vehicle, including family, friends, and neighbours.
Functions and Affordability
Do you want to know how they are related? A basic Best OBD2 scanner which has some basic features always demand less money. On the contrary, the one having more features offers a lot of money.
As a DIYer, you don’t need many more functions and should go for the affordable one. On the other hand, professional mechanics need more functions, that’s why they will go for a higher price.
Extensive Diagnostic Tool
Make sure the diagnostic tool you have, is capable of collecting data from the vehicles on-board computer. All most all vehicles in recent times have computers that are in duty of its systems such as Fuel Injection, Ignition, automatic transmission, mileage, and so on. Sensors are input into the vehicle to collect all data from these systems and keep in-store in the primary computer module of the vehicle. the best OBD2 scanner communicates with the primary module and takes the info necessary to mark the source of potential problems.
Comfortability entirely depends on you. Sometimes people find the device weighty. Sometimes, they can cope with display size and color. Even the number of buttons on an OBD2 scanner affects the consumers. Many people feel that three buttons scanners waste their time as they have navigated with only scroll up, scroll down and select buttons. Some find themselves in a sea using a many buttons scanner. The adequate number is 5-6 buttons. Check this out before buying.
Some Bluetooth OBD2 scanners have short-range connectivity problems. It is irritating to have a diagnostic tool which hasn’t found not that effective. Moreover, try to find a versatile Bluetooth diagnostic tool that can connect with iOS, android, and windows devices. On the contrary, a corded scanner has no issue with connectivity.
You will spend so much money, why wouldn’t you expect a good warranty? Especially for Bluetooth scanners, ensure that they have at least 1-2 years warranty because they cost more.
Frequently Asked Questions
OBD2 Scanner How Does It Work?
The OBD2 scanner has to connect with the port beneath the das board on the driver’s side. The port is the same for all vehicles which have been made since 1996. Connect the device with the port then turn the power on your vehicle. Do not start the engine. Then you will find the code for which the check engine light blinks. Find the definition of the code from the user manual of the vehicle.
Where Should I Keep My OBD2 Scanner?
Do not leave the OBD 2 scanner plugged in, which only reads the DTC codes. Because this OBD2 scanner doesn’t offer further functions it needs the scanner to be connected all the time. So, it seems inconvenient to leave a basic OBD-II scanner connected.
For the Bluetooth OBD2 scanner, it seems okay to leave the scanner plugged in because it collects data all the time. Although, you have to keep in mind that Bluetooth OBD2 scanners take power from your vehicle’s battery. That’s also not good for the battery’s health.
Can I Use The Same Best OBD2 Scanners As Mechanics Use?
Yeah, OBD2 scanners have compatibility. You can use a scanner on many vehicles. Also, there are many OBD2 scanners which are offering many functions. They are for heavy-duty use. Purchase one of them. Then you can use that for both personal and mechanic use.
Already we’ve talked about the significant attributes of the OBD2 scanners. After purchasing the Best OBD2 scanner, do not think that there’s no need for any attention to it.
Don’t leave the OBD2 scanner unattended. Try to check your vehicle with a scanner on a regular basis. Hopefully, you have answered all of your questions.